Can I relax if I shop online?
Online shopping security systems are becoming more and more effective. However, it is essential to practice responsible consumption in order to avoid scams
Online shopping has become a mainstay in our society. According to IAB Spain's annual eCommerce study, 7 out of 10 users shop online. As the number of sales grows, so do the shops that offer their products on the net. The National Commission on Markets and Competition affirms that e-commerce today moves 8,525 billion euros.
However, with the growth of online commerce, there are also new false web pages, with frauds and scams along with them. To know if a site is secure, we have to make sure that it has an SSL security protocol. If upon entering the page the image of a padlock appears in the navigation bar, and the URL changes from http:// to https:// (the "s" is for security) then we know we are on a protected site. Passwords and credit card numbers are encrypted to protect them from hackers.
Tips for making a safe purchase
- Keep your computer prepared. Before you buy online, check that you have good antivirus software.
- Check the site. Make sure it is legal in the manner described above. Looking over the page and reviewing the seller's information for suspicious items could prevent you from being a victim of fraud. Be wary of products that seem too good to be true.
- Review the payment systems and choose the one that suits you best.
What is the safest method of payment?
- Credit card. For its simplicity it is the most used method of payment. We enter the information on the card and the purchase is made. However, this method of payment exposes them. To avoid information theft, establishments must use an authentication system that can be confirmed by the client. The most commonly used is a code sent via a message to our mobile phone.
- Prepaid cards. On these we have a minimum deposit of spending money. This way, we minimize the amount that is being exposed. One of the safest methods when purchasing online is Santander Bank’s eCash virtual card. You can load it for free with the exact amount of the purchase you are going to make. The minimum amount is 6 euros and the maximum 1,650. The operation can be performed from an ATM, a Santander Bank branch, by phone, on the web, or via the app.
- Payment mediums. PayPal, Google Wallet, Apple Pay... are very safe methods because they do not send information from your card to the seller.
- Bank transfer. You deposit the money in the account number of the beneficiary. It's a slower system and your bank may charge a commission.
- Cash on delivery. You pay the carrier for the product upon its delivery. However, this is not a very widespread method of trade.
All these methods have very advanced security systems. What we do can ensure that they are even more secure. Check that you are using a secure network, do not use public devices when making purchases, log off after making them... The goal is to make online purchasing safer.